[Helen & Wanda Muir]
Martinez, Dec. 2 / 05
Darlings, I felt that storm in my heart & warned you about it though your miserable Adamana mail may not have carried the warning in time to do any good. Your letter Helen describing the storm reached me last evening. You should not have waited for the tents to blow down before getting out of them. But thank Heaven you escaped unscathed. It has been hard for me to keep myself leaving all this bother business & going to take care of you.
The return letter registerd card & your letter both received yesterday brought the first news that you had got the deeds. By sending letters in care of Mr Coleman they reach me about a day earlier. I expect to settle with Charlie in a few days. I have not yet leased the rances for next year. will take the home dont think it safe to the other possibl and may take
the part David has had so long. Mr Coleman will probably not get started East quite so soon as he expected, probably not before the middle of next week or even later on account of delay of those deeds etc. Possibly we may start together if I can get the ranches rented in time. Should the Arizona storms continue he may not risk going by the Santa Fe.
And now I'm going to S.F. this morning & can only repeat & repeat my prayers for your safety & warnings to be eternally careful in everything you do every hour every day.
Ever your loving father
Original letter dimensions unknown.
Muir, John, "Letter from [John Muir] to [Helen & Wanda Muir], 1905 Dec 2." (1905). John Muir Correspondence (PDFs). 3450.
Reel 15, Image 0847
The unpublished works of John Muir are copyrighted by the Muir-Hanna Trust. To purchase copies of images and/or obtain permission to publish or exhibit them, see http://www.pacific.edu/Library/Find/Holt-Atherton-Special-Collections/Fees-and-Forms-.html
The Bancroft Library, University of California at Berkeley. Please contact this institution directly to obtain copies of the images or permission to publish or use them beyond educational purposes.