The St. Petersburg Academy published a series of eight journals, beginning in 1726 and continuing until the Revolution of 1917. These journals are listed below:

First of all, note that the Mémoires was published in four parts: Series 5, 6, 7, and 8. Implicitly, the numbering begins with the Commentarii (Series 1) and Novi Commentarii (Series 2) and continues with the Acta (Series 3) and the Nova Acta (Series 4) before flowing into the Mémoires. In the literature, Mémoires typically refers to Series 5, while Series 6, 7, and 8 are referred to as just that: Series 6, 7, and 8.

The first four journals (Series 1-4) were published in Latin, up to the Academy's 1803 reorganization, whereupon the language of preference changed to French; Series 5-8 were accordingly published in French. None of these were translated into Russian until after the 1917 Revolution.

Euler personally published in all of the first four journals, until his death in 1783. Thereafter, the Academy continued to publish (previously unpublished) articles by Euler, a process that continued during the last years of the Nova Acta, ending with the publications of E772-E785 in Volume 11 (1830) of the Mémoires.

For more information on the Academy and its history, go to our St. Petersburg Academy page, or the journal pages given in the above list.

Follow

Browse the St. Petersburg Academy Publications Collections:

Acta Academiae Scientiarum Imperialis Petropolitanae (Transactions of the Imperial Academy of Sciences in St. Petersburg)

Commentarii academiae scientiarum imperialis Petropolitanae (Memoirs of the imperial academy of sciences in St. Petersburg)

Mémoires de l'Académie Impériale des Sciences de St. Pétersbourg, avec l'Histoire de l'Académie (Memoirs of the Imperial Academy of Sciences in St. Petersburg, with the History of the Academy)

Nova Acta Academiae Scientiarum Imperialis Petropolitanae (New Transactions of the Imperial Academy of Sciences in St. Petersburg)

Novi Commentarii Academiae Scientiarum Imperialis Petropolitanae (New Memoirs of the Imperial Academy of Sciences in St. Petersburg)