Campus Access Only

All rights reserved. This publication is intended for use solely by faculty, students, and staff of University of the Pacific. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, now known or later developed, including but not limited to photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without the prior written permission of the author or the publisher.

Date of Award


Document Type

Thesis - Pacific Access Restricted

Degree Name

Master of Arts (M.A.)



First Advisor

Carolynn Kohn

First Committee Member

Heather Carlton


Alcohol consumption among college students is a well-established phenomenon, as is the observation that they often do not abide by safe consumption practices. Of particular concern is the association between college students’ heavy drinking practices, reduced understanding and practice of sexual consent, and sexual aggression (e.g., coercion, unwanted physical contact, or rape). The aim of this study was to expand the current literature by assessing the degree to which college students’ self report of no, low/moderate, and heavy alcohol consumption was associated with (1) self reports of experiencing or committing sexually aggressive behavior, and (2) their understanding of what constitutes sexual consent between individuals. Understanding these issues may assist with the development of future prevention programs aimed at reducing the link between college students’ consumption of alcohol and risky sexual behaviors.





To access this thesis/dissertation you must have a valid email address and log-in to Scholarly Commons.

Find in PacificSearch Find in ProQuest



If you are the author and would like to grant permission to make your work openly accessible, please email


Rights Statement

Rights Statement

In Copyright. URI:
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. For other uses you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).