Date of Award
Master of Arts (M.A.)
First Committee Member
Carl D. Lang
Second Committee Member
Thomas Cy Coleman
It was the purpose of this study to develop and examine a pilot program relating reading instruction specifically to course content and to collect data for seeking answers to the following questions:
- Can the general reading ability of disabled readers who are considered slow learners be significantly improved by a program emphasizing the development of reading skills in relation to content in two required courses in the ninth grade?
- What areas of general reading ability, if any, can be improved by such a program?
- Can specific reading skills be improved by such a program?
- Which students, if any, benefit more from such a program?
- What modifications in (1) staff utilization, (2) classroom procedures, (3) teaching techniques, and (4) texts and other materials are necessary to develop such a program?
Owen, Lois. (1971). A descriptive study of the development and evaluation of a program teaching reading through content subjects at Lodi High School. University of the Pacific, Thesis. https://scholarlycommons.pacific.edu/uop_etds/1757