A history of the Stockton Recreation Department, 1910 to 1947, including its early background, and the development of its program and facilities
Date of Award
Master of Arts (M.A.)
James William Harris
First Committee Member
Walter S. Knox
Second Committee Member
J. Marc Jantzen
For a period of twenty years beginning in 1918 when the writer became Superintendent of the Stockton Playground Department, annual reports of its major activities and accomplishments were made and submitted to the Mayor and later the City Manager for their information. They helped in securing the next budget. Throughout the thirty years of service additional reports of activities and improvements in facilities were kept on file in the office of the department for the information of its officers and a permanent record.
The writer finds that he has been a part. of the supervised public playground movement since its inception when President Theodore Roosevelt in 1906 called together at the White House the eastern leaders in physical education, recreation, camping and children's playgrounds. (The year 1906 was the year the writer started college.) As a result of President Roosevelt's White House meeting the National Playground Association was formed. Dr. Luther Halsey Gulick was elected and served as its president until 1910 during this formative period. Henry Curtis, Director of Playgrounds in Washington, D.C. became its first secretary.
Swenson, Bert Edward. (1950). A history of the Stockton Recreation Department, 1910 to 1947, including its early background, and the development of its program and facilities. University of the Pacific, Thesis. https://scholarlycommons.pacific.edu/uop_etds/1113
Health and Physical Education Commons, History Commons, Recreation, Parks and Tourism Administration Commons, Sports Studies Commons