Reverse Side Caption
The San Joaquin County Court House. Built in 1890 at a cost of $257,817.37, it was the last word in design at the time. Everything was on the grand scale. Columns were immense, hallways spacious, ceilings high and lighted by the latest gas lamps. Woodwork was indicate and in fine mahogany and walnut hardwoods. The floor tile was imported from Belgium its pattern reflecting the Byzantine period. It was completed December 3, 1890. After completion seventy itching posts were installed about the courthouse square at a cost of $2.30 each.
Holt-Atherton Special Collections, University of the Pacific Library
To view additional information on copyright and related rights of this item, such as to purchase copies of images and/or obtain permission to publish them, click here to view the Holt-Atherton Special Collections policies.