Full Text (259 KB)
This is a medical case Open Educational Resource (OER) created for the PHAR 632 Case Base Practice IV course in the Department of Pharmacy Practice at University of the Pacific's Thomas J. Long School of Pharmacy.
- Please provide comprehensive assessment and plan for the main problems with specific instructions as follows. Be very clear on timing of medication administration or initiation and drug forms/strengths.
- Acute ischemic stroke/hypertensive crisis: provide assessment for patient’s tPA eligibility and other necessary immediate plan (within 24 hours) surrounding tPA administration (do not worry about providing long-term plan as your work-up)
- COVID-19 and bacterial pneumonia: provide antibiotics recommendations for bacterial pneumonia and guideline-recommended therapy for hospitalized patients with COVID-19 pneumonia. In addition, provide comprehensive inpatient care plan pertinent to the problem.
- Sickle cell anemia: provide plans for long-term sickle cell anemia management to reduce incidence of crisis or complications, include necessary vaccinations with appropriate administration timings and plans.
- Please review patient’s course of hospitalization or previous admission (including appropriateness of medications initiated, monitoring during hospitalization, or any necessary follow-ups) and review appropriate clinical guidelines/literatures carefully to assist in responding to the discussion questions.
Six cases were created for this course in the summer of 2022. To view the additional courses, go here.
Lee, Cynthia, "Stroke, COVID, Sickle Cell Anemia Cases" (2022). Pacific Open Texts. 23.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-Share Alike 4.0 International License.