As a renowned naturalist, explorer, writer, and conservationist, John Muir is considered a forefather of the modern environmental movement. Since 1970, Holt-Atherton Special Collections has been the repository for the John Muir Papers and over a dozen Muir related collections. Today, approximately 75% of the extant papers of Muir are preserved here.
Browse the John Muir Papers Collections:
John Muir Bibliography
John Muir Correspondence
John Muir Drawings
John Muir Journals
- All John Muir Journals
- July 1867-February 1868 [Journal 01]: The “thousand mile walk” from Kentucky to Florida and Cuba
- March 1868 [Journal 02]: Crossing the Panama Isthmus
- January-May 1869 [Journal 03]: Twenty Hill Hollow
- November 1869-circa August 1870 [Journal 04]: Yosemite Year Book
- August-October 1872 [Journal 05]: Yosemite Creek, etc.
- August-September 1872 [Journal 06]: Illilouette Basin Trip
- September-October 1872 [Journal 07]: Tuolumne
- December 1872-1873 [Journal 08]: Wind Storm, Pine Trees, Feeding, etc.
- January-May 1873 [Journal 9]: Yosemite Fall, Ice Cone, etc.
- May-June 1873 [Journal 10]: Yosemite Falls, Rainbows, Avalanches
- May-July 1873 [Journal 11]: Indian Canon, North Dome, Big Tuolumne Canon
- June 1873 [Journal 12]: Mt. Lyell Studies, Glacier Canon Erosion
- July-August 1873 [Journal 13]: “Alps” and Little Yosemite
- September-November 1873 [Journal 14]: Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Mono Trip
- Summer circa 1874 [Journal 15]: Torreya, Merced Canon
- October-November 1874 [Journal 16]: First Trip to Mount Shasta
- October-December 1874 [Journal 17]: Shasta, Yosemite, Dead Rivers
- October 1874-circa July 1875 [Journal 18]: Redwood, Yosemite, Shasta, Kings River, etc.
- April 1875 [Journal 19]: Glaciers, Dead Rivers, Sketches, Shasta Storms
- June-September 1875 [Journal 20]: Owens Valley, Yosemite, Middle Fork San Joaquin
- August-November 1875 [Journal 21]: Sequoia Studies from Yosemite South End of Belt at White River
- May-August 1876 [Journal 22]: South Dome, Ridge, etc.
- May-July 1877 [Journal 23]: Travels in Utah, etc.
- August-September 1877 [Journal 24]: Cinder Cone Sketches, etc.
- September-November 1877 [Journal 25]: Trip with Hooker, Gray, Bidwells, etc.
- June-August 1878 [Journal 26]: Geodetic Survey from Sacramento to Wasatch Mountains, Utah
- September-October 1878 [Journal 27]: Notes of Travel on the East Side of Sierra
- June-September 1879 [Journal 28]: Expedition to Alaska
- July-August 1879 [Journal 29]: Alaska Trip
- August 1879 [Journal 30]: From Wrangell Up Stickeen, Second Trip to Cassiar Mines
- October-December 1879 [Journal 31]: First Alaska Trip with S. Hall Young
- August 1880 [Journal 32]: From Wrangell Up Coast, Sum Dum, Takou, etc.
- August-September 1880 [Journal 33]: Second Expedition of 1880
- May 1881 [Journal 34]: Cruise of the Corwin, Part I
- May-September 1881 [Journal 35]: Cruise of the Corwin Sketches and Notes
- June-October 1881 [Journal 36]: Cruise of the Corwin, Part II
- August 1885 [Journal 37]: Yellowstone Park, Columbia Park, etc.
- June-September 1888 [Journal 38]: Trip with Parry to Lake Tahoe
- August 1888 [Journal 39]: Excursion to Rainier and Notes of Puget Sound
- June 1889 [Journal 40]: Yosemite Trip (Journal Fragment)
- June-July 1890; June-August 1893 [Journal 41]: Trip to Alaska; Trip to Norway
- June-July 1890 [Journal 42]: Sketches of Glaciers Made Around Muir Glacier, Alaska
- July 1890 [Journal 43]: Alaskan Sled Trip
- July 1890 [Journal 44]: Glacier Sled Trip Sketches and Notes
- July 1890 [Journal 45]: Alaskan Sled Trip (Journal Fragments)
- August 1890 [Journal 46]: From Front of Glacier to Point of Tree Mountains
- May-June 1891 [Journal 47]: Trip to Kings River
- August 1893 [Journal 48]: Trip to Europe
- January-July 1895 [Journal 49]: Ranch Life (Martinez, California)
- July-September 1895; Summer 1900 [Journal 50]: Trip Down Tuolumne Canyon; Trip from Tahoe to Yosemite
- January-Mary 1896 [Journal 51]: Ranch Life (Martinez, California)
- June-July 1896 [Journal 52]: Travels with the Forest Commission
- August 1896 [Journal 53]: From San Francisco to Alaska and Return, the Osborn Trip
- August-September 1896 [Journal 54]: Forest Field Studies
- Circa 1896 [Journal 55]: Washington Notes and Sketches, and a Few of California Sierra (Journal Fragments)
- July-November 1897 [Journal 56]: Botany Trip with Sargent and Canby
- August-September 1897 [Journal 57]: Trip with Sargent and Canby to Alaska
- May-June 1899 [Journal 58]: Harriman Expedition to Alaska, Part I, San Franciscio to Harriman Fjord
- June-July 1899 [Journal 59]: Harriman Expedition to Alaska, Part II
- July-August 1899 [Journal 60]: Harriman Expedition to Alaska, Part III
- June-July 1901 [Journal 61]: Trips to Boulder Creek and Giant Forest
- July-August 1901 [Journal 62]: Tuolumne Meadows Trip with Sierra Club
- January 1902 [Journal 63]: Arizona Trip
- July-August 1902 [Journal 64]: Kern River, etc.
- June-July 1903 [Journal 65]: World Tour, Part I
- July-August 1903 [Journal 66]: World Tour, Part II
- August-November 1903 [Journal 67]: World Tour, Part III
- November 1903-January 1904 [Journal 68]: World Tour, Part IV
- January-May 1904 [Journal 69]: World Tour, Part V
- July-September 1905, February 1906 [Journal 70]: Tree Notes on Petrified Forest
- July-October 1906 [Journal 71]: Tree Studies
- June-July 1907; June-July 1908 [Journal 72]: Yosemite Trip with Sierra Club; Sequoia Trip with Sierra Club
- February-April 1909 [Journal 73]: Arizona Trip
- July 1909 [Journal 74]: Sierra Club Outing to Yosemite and Hetch Hetchy
- August-October 1911 [Journal 75]: Trip to South America, Part I
- October-November 1911 [Journal 76]: Trip to South America, Part II
- November 1911-March 1912 [Journal 77]: Trip to South America, Part III and Trip to Africa
- August 1913 [Journal 78]: Island Park, Idaho Trip
John Muir Newsletters
John Muir Photographs
Reminiscence of John Muir