Title

American Idle- The Case for Dock Electrification

Poster Number

30

Format

Poster Presentation

Faculty Mentor Name

Dari Sylvester

Abstract/Artist Statement

Ocean-going vessels are one of the largest sources of air pollution and which also happen to be the most virtually unregulated. The United States Clean Air Task Force estimates the federal, ·state, and local governments as well as insurance companies and private individuals spend over $330 billion a year in air pollution related health issues. If business continues as usual, it is projected that the costs will soar over $460 billion a year. Currently, ocean-vessels run their auxiliary engines while docked to maintain their "hotelling" needs such as electricity and refrigeration. This idling of ocean vessels is the largest contributor to childhood asthma and elderly respiratory problems in port cities; It is also a large contributor to climate change as these vessels constantly emit greenhouse gases while idle. The process of cold-ironing allows for ocean-vessels to literally plug-in to a shore side generator that is attached to the port's power grid and turn off all main and auxiliary engines. This reduces all current idling emissions down 98%, the other 2% is the amount of pollution that is emitted during the plug-in and plug-out process. A federal cold-ironing mandate would allow the United States to take a step towards improving air quality and overall health in port cities, implement a self-sustaining policy (versus alternative fuelwhich would still require reliance on other countries), and regain credibility from the global community regarding the America's sincerity in halting climate change.

Location

Wendell Phillips Center, 1st floor hallways

Start Date

3-5-2008 1:00 PM

End Date

3-5-2008 3:00 PM

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS
 
May 3rd, 1:00 PM May 3rd, 3:00 PM

American Idle- The Case for Dock Electrification

Wendell Phillips Center, 1st floor hallways

Ocean-going vessels are one of the largest sources of air pollution and which also happen to be the most virtually unregulated. The United States Clean Air Task Force estimates the federal, ·state, and local governments as well as insurance companies and private individuals spend over $330 billion a year in air pollution related health issues. If business continues as usual, it is projected that the costs will soar over $460 billion a year. Currently, ocean-vessels run their auxiliary engines while docked to maintain their "hotelling" needs such as electricity and refrigeration. This idling of ocean vessels is the largest contributor to childhood asthma and elderly respiratory problems in port cities; It is also a large contributor to climate change as these vessels constantly emit greenhouse gases while idle. The process of cold-ironing allows for ocean-vessels to literally plug-in to a shore side generator that is attached to the port's power grid and turn off all main and auxiliary engines. This reduces all current idling emissions down 98%, the other 2% is the amount of pollution that is emitted during the plug-in and plug-out process. A federal cold-ironing mandate would allow the United States to take a step towards improving air quality and overall health in port cities, implement a self-sustaining policy (versus alternative fuelwhich would still require reliance on other countries), and regain credibility from the global community regarding the America's sincerity in halting climate change.