H. E. Cole


Baraboo Daily News


Wis. Hist Soc Mus. Baraboo Daily News Sept. 23, 1919. LITTLE JOURNEY TO THE BOYHOOD HOME OF JOHN MUIR. By H.E. Cole. Excerpts. Mr. Cole made journey with Attorney and Mrs. E.S. Baker of Portage. Mr. Baker was the first white child born in town of Port Winnebago and in early manhood operated a horse-power threshing machine. The last two seasons the Muirs lived on farm, he threshed their grain, and attended the sale when they left the farm, purchasing some of the tools used by John Muir. Mrs. Baker attended a rural school taught by Joanna Muir. It was School #3, the Spicer school, in the town of Winnebago. Ate lunch at Ennis Lake. Blue jays screaming in the trees. Woodpeckers, kingbirds all about us. Daniel Muir helped organize Presbyterian Church (where cemetery is). ?? Mr. Keams says Muir visited the farm about 1898. Told Mr. Kearns the orchard looked more familiar than any other spot. At the auction Merrill Smith cried the sale. After selling one of the old-fashioned hand corn anters, the autioneer shouted that there was another better than the first. To this Daniel Muir cried out with all his Scotch honesty, "No, it isn't." The father conducted religious services, but received meager compensation. One day the question of small pay was mentioned to one of the members of the church to which he replied, "Oh, well, he likes to preach."



Date Original


Resource Identifier

MSS048 Va.10

Copyright Statement

Some material related to John Muir may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.

Owning Institution

University of the Pacific Library Holt-Atherton Special Collections. Please contact this institution directly to obtain copies of the images or permission to publish or use them beyond educational purposes.