R[obert] U[nderwood] Johnson


John Muir


image preview


July 18th,1894. R.W.GILDER, EDITOR. R.U. JOHNSON, ASSOCIATE EDITOR. C.C. BUEL, ASSISTANT EDITOR. John Muir, Esq. Martinez, California. Dear Muir:- I have been doing all I could, during the past three weeks, to hurry along your book, and we now have the promise that the last proofs shall be in our hands next week, which means that they will reach you about the 1st of August even, I hope, a little earlier. In this case, shall you go to the Tuolumne region? If you are going, and if it were not for the uncertainties and perils of railway travel, I believe that Gilder and I would feel like sending our boys to you for the projected trip; but at this time the risks are certainly very great and actual, and it now seems best on the whole to postpone it until next year - that is, if you think of going next year. . Perhaps Burroughs could be got to go out with the boys about the 1st of July of next year. [illegible] 01829


New York

Date Original



Original letter dimensions: 26.5 x 21 cm.

Resource Identifier


File Identifier

Reel 08, Image 0335

Copyright Statement

Some letters written to John Muir may be protected by the U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.). Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.

Owning Institution

University of the Pacific Library Holt-Atherton Special Collections. Please contact this institution directly to obtain copies of the images or permission to publish or use them beyond educational purposes.

Page Number

Page 1


John Muir, correspondence, letters, author, writing, naturalist, California, correspondent, mail, message, post, exchange of letters, missive, notes, epistle