Download Full Text (249 KB)
Tort Law and Practice provides a rich context for the study of Tort Law. Teachers and students consistently rate this book highly. This innovative casebook thoroughly develops the core torts principles, and has many unique features, such as:
- Emphasis on contemporary cases while retaining the classic cases;
- Use of problems (with model answers for teachers) to facilitate learning and application;
- Variety of negligence duty issues to select from for classroom focus;
- Balanced presentation of alternative points of view;
- Inclusion of substantive and damages issues reflecting the diversity of U.S. society;
- Summary of contents at the beginning of each chapter to help students keep the concepts in focus;
- Boxed outline summaries and flow charts to facilitate learning;
- Ethical issues in personal injury cases discussed in context; and practice materials included to help students understand the process.
The Fifth Edition of Tort Law and Practice represents the authors' continued efforts to humanize the subject matter of torts and to include issues reflecting the diversity of our society where relevant. Highlights of the new edition include:
- Chapter 3: Duty — Tarasoff doctrine: Estates of Morgan v. Fairfield Family Counseling Center
- Chapter 6: Damages — extensively reworked, and with a new section on Racial, Gender, Cohabitation & Class Fairness in Tort
- Chapter 8: Intentional Torts — New Cases: The Meaning of Intent (Doe v. Johnson) and Emotional Distress in Discrimination Cases (Graham v. Guilderland Central School District)
- Chapter 10: Products Liability — New Case on Deviation from Design Specs: Welge v. Planters Lifesavers Co.
- Chapter 12: Privacy — New Case on Intrusion: Stengart v. Loving Care Agency
The comprehensive Teacher's Manual provides insights to the analysis of the cases, suggested teaching techniques, and model answers to the many problems in the casebook.
Carolina Academic Press
Durham, North Carolina
Law | Torts
Lawrence C. Levine, Dominick Vetri, Joan Vogel & Ibrahim J. Gassama,
Tort Law and Practice
Available at: https://scholarlycommons.pacific.edu/facultyteaching/31